It’s been very exciting to see such a strong response to our recent research study on “Best Practices in Private Equity and Venture Capital Deal Origination”, published in the Winter 2010 Journal of Private Equity.
To our knowledge, this is the first systematic study on this topic; we have not found any other in-depth research on origination by either academics or practitioners. In leading this research, we are leveraging our experience working with a wide range of top-tier investors and our proprietary dataset of the origination practices of over 150 institutional investors globally with whom we have conducted in-depth interviews. We also have presented on our research to dozens of conferences, funds, and investment banks globally, gaining additional insight from audience feedback. My coauthor Chris Farmer of General Catalyst provided critical insight, particularly on the venture capital industry. Our research associates, Yujin Chung (Andreessen Horowitz) and Neha Kumar (Anklesaria Group), provided invaluable quantitative and analytical support. I also want to thank my former colleagues at global research firm Evalueserve for their help in conducting approximately 1/3 of our surveys, and for additional background research.
A wide range of publications has now featured our research:
– 3/29/11: Business Insider, Five Best Practices In Sourcing Investments
– 3/29/11: Axial Market Blog, Where the Deals Are – Best Practices in Sourcing Investments
– 3/14/11: Bloomberg Radio, Teten Discusses Private Equity Deal Origination (Audio file)
– 1/13/11: Pensions & Investments, Study: PE firms spend hours on investments they’ll avoid
– 1/3/11: Global Corporate Venturing, Chasing the rabbit: deal origination best practice
– 12/6/10: Financial News/Private Equity News, Four Ways Buyout Funds Can Increase Dealflow
– 12/10: Mergers & Acquisitions, Where are the Deals? Private Equity Funds’ Best Practices in Sourcing Investments
– 10/5/10: Institutional Investor, Where Are the Deals?
– 9/6/10: Buyouts News, Need to Meet: David Teten
– 6/10: Harvard Business Review, Time for Investors to Get Social
I’ve embedded below the sanitized slides from a presentation we’ve made on our research to some investor conferences and privately to various private equity funds and investment banks.