I publish research periodically on managing your board of directors; business models; economics; financial analysis; fundraising; leadership and management; market research; marketing; M&A; negotiation; recruiting; sales; and startup ideas. I’ve presented to some of the leading accelerators and entrepreneur groups, as well as to senior executives at leading corporations (Franklin Templeton, major investment banks) and executive resource groups (CEO Trust, Vistage). I’ve included links below to some of my research and presentations:
- Shaking the Money Tree: Social Media and Other Innovative Tools Used for Raising Capital (VIDEO)
How to target potential investors in online networks. Institutional investor bloggers. Internet due diligence. Create stealth buzz online: Market without marketing.
- The Next Great Entrepreneurial Opportunity: How to Identify Market White Space (VIDEO)
How to identify new business opportunities and research your market while spending as little money as humanly possible.
- How Executives Can Work with Private Equity and Venture Capital Portfolio Companies
Focus on how you can win board memberships or full-time executive roles with the portfolio companies of private equity and venture capital firms. Learn how to earn significant extra income as a member of an expert network, without distracting from your current job. Discusses how institutional investors typically engage with outside executives: through executive recruiters, expert networks, senior advisor networks, research firms, etc.
- Financial Modeling for Entrepreneurs
Discusses best practices in building financial models, a template financial model, and valuing startup employee options.
- Recruiting Hacks: How to Woo and Win the High Performers (VIDEO)
Recruiting great people. Hire the best, pay the best.
- How to Manage Your Board Meetings
How to prepare for and manage your investors via your board meetings.
- The Virtual Handshake: Opening Doors and Winning New Clients Online
Social media is not just a tool for socializing; it is an exceptionally powerful set of tools for growing your sales.
- How to Prepare High-Impact Memos and Presentations
The #1 lesson I learned in investment banking and strategy consulting was the importance of crisp, clear, brief, well-researched communications… with no errors.
- Earning Revenue: Internet Business Models
Discusses business models for technology startups.
- Online Dating is the Future of Your Business (VIDEO)
Online dating is now a mainstream method for singles to meet one another. Entrepreneurs, investors, and other businesspeople can learn a lot from the diverse and well-developed business models in the online dating sector.
- Where are the Disruptive Asset Management Companies?
The most attractive industries to disrupt are highly profitable ones, and asset management is traditionally a highly profitable industry. We believe there is significant room to disrupt this industry.
- Web 3.0: What’s Next Online?. Discusses the semantic web, 3-D Web, web-enabled space, and other trends coming faster than most people realize.
Other Presentations and Videos
- Elevator Pitch: ff Venture Capital (and HBS Alumni Angels) (VIDEO)
- Startup Pitches (VIDEO)
I frequently serve as a judge for startup pitch events.
I have posted here videos/notes from some of my public interviews.